Ok, so I thought I’d do a different type of video this time. My videos are pretty serious, and I’m usually voicing my opinion’s and beliefs on the way people should conduct themselves. I do it, and potentially open myself up to harsh criticism, because I believe what I teach will make your life more fulfilling and drama free, and it’s also a demonstration of my beliefs and values and what I teach clients as a coach.
So yeah, I stick these opinions out there on the internets, and you’re obviously free to disagree or agree with them. If you like what you hear and have some issues in your life that you think I might be able to help with then you’re free to contact me for coaching.
But yeah, like I said it’s all very full on and serious, and I just thought I’d take a break from all this seriousness. So I thought I’d lighten the mood and do a video on divorce!
Well, some interesting facts I found about divorce and marriage anyway. And look, I’m acutely aware that divorce is no laughing matter for most guys. It can be a total shit show.
But I thought these little snippets of info might be interesting anyway:
· A study done by two economics professors at Emory University found that the divorce rate of couples whose wedding cost more than $20,000 is 1.6 times higher than those whose wedding cost between $5,000 and $10,000, and couples who spent $1,000 or less had a lower-than-average rate of divorce. – Source
o Probably because they’ve spent all their money on the wedding and now, they’re stressed out.
· A third of all divorce filings of 2011 in the U.S. contained the word ‘Facebook.’ – Source
o Well this makes perfect sense to me. People just have more options available to them through social media. If you’re having a shitty time with your partner, it’s so easy to jump online and find yourself a replacement. I’m not saying it’s a good thing, if fact I think it’s a totally shit thing to do. But it’s an option….
· 85% of fat people who meet and marry their spouse while they are fat and later have Bariatric surgeries, divorce their spouse within 2 years of the surgery. – Source
o This makes sense too! You lose weight and get in shape, your sexual market value goes up. I’m also guessing it probably has something to do with, if both of them are obese, then the partner who lost weight probably feels as if they have less in common with the partner that’s still overweight. I mean they literally can’t sit on the couch eating fried chicken all night any more.
· Mail-order marriages are less likely to end in divorce than marriages overall in the United States – Source
o They are more likely to be murdered by their spouse and suffer domestic abuse apparently. It’s probably likely to do with the types of guys who would seek a mail order bride and the fact the bride is moving to a country where they have a limited support network, and therefore feel more vulnerable.
· The happiest marriages are those where the wife is able to calm down quickly after arguments. – Source
o Amen to that
· In a study that surveyed older couples married for an average of 39 years, it was found that wife’s happiness is more important than her husband’s when it comes to keeping a happy, lasting marriage. – Source
o You see, this gives me the shits. This is the whole “happy wife, happy life” thing that you hear guys spout. Guys bending over backwards to keep their wife happy, and in the process sacrificing their own hopes and dreams. I just did a video on this, I’ll leave a card up so you can check it out.
· In 2011, a woman in France sued her husband and won $15,000 for not giving her enough sex during their marriage. – Source
o The thing is, they were married for 21 years, and apparently the guy wasn’t giving it up the whole time they were married. So that’s (gets calculator) $714 a year, or if she was expecting to have sex once a week that’s $13.73 a week. The judge gave her “Crack whore” rates.
· In ancient Greece, throwing an apple at someone was considered a marriage proposal. – Source
o I’ve heard worse marriage proposals
· Both women and men tend to be less happy in marriages where the woman makes more money than the man.- Source
o Well yeah, because most women don’t want the burden of performance to be on them. They want to feel as though they’re being looked after by their partner and their partner can take care of them. So this makes perfect sense.
· Birth order can influence whether a marriage succeeds or fails. The most successful marriages are those where the oldest sister of brothers marries the youngest brother of sisters. Two firstborns, however, tend to be more aggressive and can create higher levels of tension. The highest divorce rates are when an only child marries another only child.
o Ah yes, I’ve read about this. There’s heaps of research done on this and I think I might even do a video on this topic. But basically yeah, two firstborns shouldn’t marry one another because they’re both gonna want to be in charge, and the best relationships are between firstborns and last borns. It’s this whole ying and yang thing. I believe Dr Kevin Leman, who is a psychologist wrote some books on this.
So, there you have it. Really just needed some more content for my YouTube channel and didn’t want to do another video on “finding your purpose”.